Wednesday, April 4, 2018

March for Our Lives Rally - Washington, D.C


When I was a junior in high school, there was a bomb threat on campus that would lead to my best friend and I crying and holding each other for 3 hours. We weren't able to speak, we weren't able to call our parents, we just had to wait.

When I remember the fear I felt in those moments and try to conceive the horror of hearing gun shots, screaming, and bodies hitting the floor my heart stops. When I think about having to wake up the next day and never see my friend again, my heart stops.
When I see resilience and power that the survivors of the Parkland, Florida shooting have shown in the face of this violence I am astounded -their hearts refuse to stop.

On March 24, 2018 a whole generation showed up and refused to stop. Hundreds of thousands of activists marched to end gun violence in America.

Leading up to the march, the students in Santa Barbara, California were inspired to join the movement to #EndGunViolenceNow


Walk Out 3/14/18



Students in Santa Barbara joined Peace Works Travel on a trip to our nation's capital to bring their voices to Washington, D.C.

Arriving in D.C


The group landed in D.C early morning March 23rd ahead of the March for Our Lives Rally. While exploring the national mall, the group caught the attention of KTLA correspondent, Chip Yost. The group was interviewed about what inspired them to join the movement in Washington, D.C and what this moment means to them.


Watch the interview here:

"We come from a much smaller place and for me, I feel like when something comes up that you really believe in, it’s hard to have your voice heard...so i think coming to D.C is really powerful, even if your just one person among thousands, or hundreds of thousands." - Kiki Tolles, Laguna Blanca High School Student

The group also caught the attention of CBS 17 correspondent Brie Jackson who interviewed the students on the impact they will to have on the government. 







Parkland Survivors at the Newseum 


Poster Prep and Exchange with Local Students








The March For Our Lives Rally












Around the City



Post By: Jasmine Jarman


No comments:

Post a Comment